Wednesday 9 September 2015

Day 18 - Lintzoain, SPAIN to Lespars, FRANCE

Where do I start today? Ok... might as well be the beginning...

After quite a restless night in the tent, we woke to 5 degree temperatures... I REALLYdont like the cold...

I went for a quick snack and started a little later than usual knowing that I had made allowances for the hills today with a shorter milage....



This all started well until I had the bright idea of taking some offroad hiking routes to avoid some of the twisty windy mountain roads that Michelle had to drive... I checked my Garmin and told her to wait 5 km down the road...




This so called HIKING trail turned into quite dence forest AND very steep...

As this was quite tiring, I set my bag down by a tree to take out bottle of water and placed the bag down by tree again opening my bottle for a refreshing drink ...... whilst in horror I watched my bag tumble down a big steep hill..... or should I say cliff !!!

I gave an almighty ... "nooooooooo" and followed my bag in the safest route possible until I found it at the bottom... This left me with a steep banking to climb back up.. NOT an easy task especially with thorns and loose leaves underfoot...

Unfortunately, my camera, which was in the side pocket of bag must have parted company on its tumble and could NOT find it anywhere...

I was quite sad about that because I had already taken some lovely pictures today as the scenery was OUTSTANDING... (plus I liked that camera)

I finally caught up with Michelle who was 50/50 with concern and hysteria... She now says 60/40 in favour of hysteria....

Entering into France was actually a bit of an anticlimax... I was expecting at LEAST a sign to tell us we had crossed the border... It just suddenly changed to France...

I stopped at a little bar for a coffee as it had been quite an emotional day in a way... 



The walk itself hadnt exactly been perfect but I crossed a border today and that was an achievement... i also had a message from a father who had some wonderful news in his search for his child and actually, with everything going on in my head at the moment, I am not ashamed to admit that I welled up a little... I think this shocked Michelle a bit as usually stay quite strong with emotions (through necessity)

One more close encounter I had today was that I was knocked to the side of the road by a driver who did not give enough room at the side of the road... Fortunately, he just caught my arm with his wing mirror but it was a bit of a shock.... I was surprised that he did not stop to see if I was ok... I am ... but was a little shaken

Tonight, once I reached the destination we went out for PIZZA !! It was LOVELY....




I had completed 23 miles today making the total 469 miles (755 km) in 18 days...




Tomorrow I go to Bayonnes which is fairly close to Biarritz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.